ED111A – EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY 1
LESSON 1. MEANING OF EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY
Technology – more than hardware; consists of the designs and the environments that engage learners. – D. Jonassen Comes from the Greek word “techne” w/c means craft or art. Planned, systematic method of working to achieve planned outcomes – a process not a product. Applied side of scientific development
Any valid and reliable process or procedure that is derived from basic research using scientific method.
Educational Technology – refers to the art or craft of responding to our educational needs. Refers to how people use their inventions and discoveries to satisfy their educational needs and desires, i.e. learning Application of technology in the educative process that takes place in such education institutions Complex, integrated process involving people, procedures, ideas, devices and organization for analyzing problems and devising, implementing, evaluating and managing solutions to the problems, involved in all aspects of human learning Theory about how problems in human learning are identified and solved
TERMS THAT ARE ASSOCIATED WITH EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY
Technology in education – the application of technology to any of those processes involved in operating the institutions w/c house the educational enterprise. Application of technology in the operation of education institutions
Instructional technology – part of educational technology which are concerned with instruction a systematic way of designing, carrying out, and evaluating the total process of learning and teaching in terms of specific objectives.
Technology integration – Part of Instructional Technology
means using learning technologies to introduce, reinforce, supplement and extend skills.
Educational media – are channels or avenues or instruments of communication. Ex. Books, magazines, newspapers, radio, TV and Internet
LESSON 2. TECHNOLOGY: BOON OR BANE?
In education, technology is bane when:
1. the learner is made to accept the Gospel truth info. they get from the net 2. the learner surfs the net for pornography
3. the learner has an uncritical mind on images floating on TV and PC that represent modernity and progress 4. the TV makes the learner a mere spectator not an active participant in the drama of life 5. the learner gets glued to his computer for computer-assisted instruction unmindful of the world and so fails to develop the ability to relate to others 6. we make use of the net to do character assassination of people whom we hardly like 7. bec. of our cp, we spend most of our time in the classroom or in our workplace texting 8. we use overuse and abuse TV or film viewing as a strategy to kill time
The integration of technology in the instructional process must be geared towards: 1. interactive and meaningful learning
2. the development of creative and critical thinking
3. the development and nurturing of teamwork
4. efficient and effective teaching
Meaningful Integration of Technology
It is knowing when, why and how specific tools should be used to facilitate overall learning. It requires both the ability to plan and select the optimal application tools, knowledge and skills to implement and evaluate their effectiveness
Technology Integration Process
Planning for Integration
Content, learners and learning environment
Implementing for Integration
Selection and use of one or more types of technology to enhance learning Evaluating The Integration
Determine the effectiveness of technology integration and identify better ways for future implementations
Instruction refers to deliberate arrangement of learning conditions to promote the attainment of some intended goal. Instructional Design is the process of translating principles and instructions into plan for instructional materials and activities
LESSON 3. THE ROLES OF EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY IN LEARNING...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document