Matter, Solutions, and Phase Changes Unit
1. What is matter? Anything that takes up space (volume) and has mass
2. Explain how to classify matter. (Homogeneous, Heterogeneous, Mixture, Pure Substance)? HOMOGENEOUS Matter that is made up of the same or alike particles
Can’t see what makes it up
Matter that is made up of different types of particles
Can see what makes it up
A material made up of two or more substances that can be easily separated Either Heterogeneous or Homogeneous
Ex: Salsa, Cake batter, pizza, soda
Classification of matter with a fixed composition
Either Element or Compound
Ex: Neon, Gold, Water, Alcohol
3. What is the difference between homogeneous and heterogeneous? Homogeneous- all matter is made same particles and Heterogeneous are different particles.
4. What is the difference between a mixture and a pure substance? Mixture has more substances and pure substance has a fixed composition.
5. How can a pure substance be classified and explain how to know the difference? Pure substance is only homogeneous and only has a fixed composition.
6. How can a mixture be classified? Mixture can be classified by suspension, colloids, solutions.
7. Explain the difference between suspension, colloid, and solutions? Suspension has a mixture that separates into layers over time. Colloid mixture will NOT settle and has intermediate particles. Solution mixture is wear one substance dissolves into another and will not settle out and will not scatter light.
8. What are the parts of a solution? SOLUTE
Part being dissolving
Ex: sugar, salt
B. Part doing the dissolving
C. Water is the universal solvent
D. Ex: water, alcohol
9. Explain how to determine the solubility of a solution? Determined by attraction between solute and solvent
10. What are the three levels of solutions and how are they determined? Saturated Contains as much solute as...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document