M1 Explain why procedures and practices are followed in the scientific workplace (1)It is a standard procedure to brief all the employees on the rules and regulations within a specific workplace because everywhere will have a different structure in the way they work. Following the procedures and practices will conclude to the required results but also keeps everyone safe and they are able to work effectively.
Why that particular procedure is followed
An example of that procedure
What could happen if that procedure is not followed effectively Handling of Materials
To prevent any equipment being broken or destroyed by workers. Not leaving any type of glass equipment on the edge off the table. Money is wasted on buying new equipment that could be used for other more important things. Store Management
Allows everyone to work at a certain pace and control is kept within the workplace. Senior members assigning tasks of other employees to work on. The same job isn’t done by five different people wasting time and resources. Calibration of Equipment
(2) To identify any faults that may occur in experiments.
(2)To read any results at eye level to make sure they are accurate. Research could be effected if the results are wrong and they whole experiment may have to be carried out again. Maintaining Equipment
(3)The right type of equipment equals the right type of results. (3)Cleaning all the equipment on a regular basic.
(3) Incorrect results maybe recorded.
Use of Centrifuges
(4)This piece of experiment is very expensive so people must have the knowledge of how to use the centrifuges. (4)Counterbalancing the tubes inside the centrifuges.
The centrifuge will break and will prevent research from being carried out. Desiccators and Vacuum Storage
(5)To be pre-cautious when handling the sensitive item.
(5)Protecting the chemicals.
(5)Money will be required to buy a new piece of equipment.
Handling and Disposal of Radioactive Substances
There are rules of...
Bibliography: 1. http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130521152957AAARU4B 01/10/13
2. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070702124910AAY00oi 01/10/13
3. http://bluecoatservices.com/tips-on-maintaining-laboratory-equipment/ 01/10/13
4. http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Centrifuge 01/10/13
5. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_dessicator_and_what_are_its_uses_and_how_does_it_look 02/10/13
6. http://chem-ilp.net/healthAndSafety/SafetyWithGlass.htm 02/10/13
7. http://www.level.org.nz/health-and-safety/airborne-and-other-pollutants/solvents/ 02/10/13
8. BTEC Level 3 Applied Science- Edexcel- Pearson Education Limited
Please join StudyMode to read the full document