Casino Pier opened in 1932 by Linus Gilbert
In 1937, Gilbert built a large building over the Carousel structure and called it the Seaside Heights Casino. In 1948, John Fitzgerald and John Christopher bought the property. In 1959 John Christopher passed and John Fitzgerald bought the full rights. In 1960, John Fitzgerald’s son-in-law Ken Wynne took over operations. Ken Wynne expanded the pier eastward and added many rides including the pier’s first major roller coaster “The Wild Mouse” Wynne leased out sections of the pier to other operators. In 1963, America’s first Himalaya ride was installed.
In 1964, the original Skyride was installed. It took you from the pool area to the east end of the pier. The Skyride was building by a Wildwood, NJ company (Universal Design). In 1965, the pier was expanded 320 feet out.
On June 10th 1965, a wind whipped fire consumed a huge portion of the pier in including the Wild Mouse. The pier was opened within weeks with temporary rides. The amusement park at Casino Pier offers classic children’s rides such as the Boats, Motorcycles, and Speedway whip cars. Family rides include the Tilt-A-Whirl, Moby Dick, Hot Tamales Roller Coaster, and Fun Houses. Thrill seekers will enjoy the 170 foot tall Skyscraper where riders are strapped to the end of a crane-like arm and are whipped around at speeds up to 70 miles per hour! In 1969, the Anton Schwarzkoph masterpiece Jet Star roller coaster was added. In 1975, Casino Pier added the United States first Enterprise ride. In 1979, Casino Pier added the Luv Bugs (Mack designed) indoor/outdoor roller coaster. Originally called Broadway Trip which operated at Palisades Amusement Park, Cedar Point and then Canadian National Expo. Luv Bugs was re-themed to Wizards Cavern in 1988 In 1982, the original Casino building would change forever allowing Ocean Terrance to connect with it’s north section. In 1982, Ken Wynne partnered with Bob Bennett.
In 1982, the Skydiver ride fell on top of the Himalaya...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document