Slaves didn’t know their mothers or birthdays. Assess the impact on their mental well being ? Care of the mother for the child's future character formation, have a decisive role. The slaves don‘t know their mother, so they don’t get good care. Slaves don’t have a sense of identity for self because they don‘t know their birthday. It is easy to hurt them as a person's sense of belonging. Slaves needs their mothers to be their directors.
2. Slavery degraded master and slave. Masters derived pleasure from abusing chattel. How would this behavior contribute to their diminished humanity? 400 years of the slave trade, but estimates of slaves brought to America Africa about 12 million to 30 million. Africa continent as a whole, the slave trade population loss, at least about 100 million people, equivalent to 1800s of the total population Africa.
5. Did Southerners treat their slaves well? They loved to sing. What was Douglass’ perception about the songs? Southern slave owners treated their slaves no good. Most of the slaves worked in the plantation. The slave was born black leaders - Frederic, said in his autobiography, the average person is happy, when the slaves sing songs of grief and sadness. Or sing particularly desolate feeling very warm tone; or with a very bleak tone singing especially fanatical feelings; every note, every word of the lyrics express suffering slaves filled with sorrow and grief.
7. Who is Austin Gore and his maxims? What did he do to Demby? Why? Gore’s punishment? Austin Gore is the new supervisor in the big house. Mr. Gore is ambitious, first-class supervision, he is cunning, cruel. He will be looking for reasons to punish those slaves. Ensure that all slaves afraid of him. His motto is "'This is better than a dozen slaves under the lashes suffer, than when the supervisor should be convicted of negligence in the presence of slaves." Mr. Gore was killed Denbigh, he is a slave. Because the board did not listen to Mr. Gore than warnings. This is not the Denbigh had treated, he should not be killed.
8. Assess: “was worth a half-cent to kill a nigger and half-cent to bury one”. What does that reveal about the worth of a slave and their life? Slave labor is no freedom can be random killing or slave trading. Absolutely can not refuse to obey orders, can not have people. In the eyes of the slave owners, they only represent money and working tools. Can not even be regarded as a person.
9. Who were Mr. and Mrs. Auld and what great revelation did Douglass discover while in Miss Sophia’s care? Was she sincere? Her husband’s response & why? Mr. and Mrs. Auld are the new owner. Patrick has brought him to them. By Miss Sophia care, Frederick found that if he wants to be a free man, he must learn to read and write. Miss Sophia never owned slaves, before she married Hugh. She believes that slavery should not. She even taught Frederick how to read. But her husband, but her husband was angry because he thought slavery slaves not only need to learn to obey the master's commands. Once the slaves have the knowledge, they know how to resist.
11. Discuss Douglass’s view concerning education? How did her pursue it? Why? Frederick believes that education is an important step to become free. He has not given up learning, no matter how many times in combat. He believes that there is knowledge to be able to save themselves, to save others. Has the power to abolish slavery.
14. Was Douglass a religious man? Support your position with Douglass’words. He is a Christian. He was opposed to religious discrimination. He advocated blacks had their own churches, clergy until the blacks and whites sharing in the Church. In slavery, white people trying to Christianity for black, Christian spiritual transformation of black people enslaved tools, combined with traditional African religions. Create...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document