Title: Properties of Gases
Purpose: The purpose of this lab is to investigate some physical and chemical
properties of gases and to use these properties to identify these gases when they are encountered. Hypothesis: This experiment was for observational purposes to learn about the physical and chemical properties of gases, no hypothesis was required in order to do this. Data/Results:
1. Give two reasons why we fill the gas generator test tubes almost to the top with chemicals.
Two reasons why the gas generator test tubes are filled almost to the top with chemicals is so there is less space for anything else not involved in the experiment results to get inside of the test tube and contaminate said results and also to make sure that there is enough of the chemical inside of the test tube to make a visible reaction happen.
2. What happens to the zinc in the hydrogen generation experiment?
The zinc is dissolved which forms hydrogen and zinc chloride in the hydrogen generation experiment.
3. What happens to the manganese in the oxygen generation experiment?
The manganese made the reaction happen faster in the oxygen generation experiment.
4. Write a balanced equation for the reaction between O2 and H2. 2H2 + 02 -> 2H20
5. What is the function/purpose of the bromothymol blue in the CO2 experiment?
The function/purpose of the bromothymol blue in the CO2 experiment was to show that CO2 was present and pure when mixed with the bromothymol blue because of the reaction that occurred. The change in color was a result of the combination of the CO2 and the bomothymol blue combining to form a new substance that is acidic.
6. Bromothymol blue is blue in the presence of basic solutions, and yellow in the presence of acidic solutions. If your solution is a murky green, what might you assume about the solution?
If Bromothymol blue is blue in the presence of basic solutions and yellow in the...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document