Flinn Scientific’s Student Safety Contract
Science is a hands-on laboratory class. You
will be doing many laboratory activities
which require the use of hazardous
chemicals. Safety in the science classroom is
the #1 priority for students, teachers, and
parents. To ensure a safe science classroom,
a list of rules has been developed and provided to you in this student safety contract. These rules must be followed at all times.
Two copies of the contract are provided. One
copy must be signed by both you and a parent or guardian before you can participate in the laboratory. The second copy is to be kept
in your science notebook as a constant
reminder of the safety rules.
1. Conduct yourself in a responsible manner at all times in the laboratory. 2. Follow all written and verbal instructions carefully. If you do not understand a direction or part of a procedure, ask the
instructor before proceeding.
3. Never work alone. No student may work
in the laboratory without an instructor
4. When first entering a science room, do
not touch any equipment, chemicals, or
other materials in the laboratory area
until you are instructed to do so.
5. Do not eat food, drink beverages, or
chew gum in the laboratory. Do not use
laboratory glassware as containers for
food or beverages.
6. Perform only those experiments authorized by the instructor. Never do anything in the laboratory that is not called for in the laboratory procedures or by
your instructor. Carefully follow all
instructions, both written and oral.
Unauthorized experiments are prohibited.
7. Be prepared for your work in the laboratory. Read all procedures thoroughly before entering the laboratory.
8. Never fool around in the laboratory.
Horseplay, practical jokes, and pranks
are dangerous and prohibited.
9. Observe good housekeeping practices.
Work areas should be kept clean and tidy
at all times. Bring only your laboratory
instructions, worksheets, and/or reports
to the work area. Other materials (books,
purses, backpacks, etc.) should be stored
in the classroom area.
10. Keep aisles clear. Push your chair under
the desk when not in use.
11. Know the locations and operating procedures of all safety equipment including the first aid kit, eyewash station, safety
shower, fire extinguisher, and fire blanket. Know where the fire alarm and the exits are located.
12. Always work in a well-ventilated area.
Use the fume hood when working with
volatile substances or poisonous vapors.
Never place your head into the fume hood.
13. Be alert and proceed with caution at all
times in the laboratory. Notify the
instructor immediately of any unsafe
conditions you observe.
14. Dispose of all chemical waste properly.
Never mix chemicals in sink drains.
Sinks are to be used only for water and
those solutions designated by the
instructor. Solid chemicals, metals,
matches, filter paper, and all other insoluble materials are to be disposed of in the proper waste containers, not in the
sink. Check the label of all waste containers twice before adding your chemical waste to the container. 15. Labels and equipment instructions must
be read carefully before use. Set up and
use the prescribed apparatus as directed
in the laboratory instructions or by your
16. Keep hands away from face, eyes,
mouth and body while using chemicals
or preserved specimens. Wash your
hands with soap and water after performing all experiments. Clean all work surfaces and apparatus at the end of the
experiment. Return all equipment clean
and in working order to the proper storage area.
17. Experiments must be personally monitored at all times. You will be assigned a laboratory station at which to work. Do
not wander around the room, distract
other students, or interfere with the laboratory experiments of others. 18. Students are never permitted in the
science storage rooms or preparation
areas unless given specific...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document