"THE CHRISTIAN HOME AND FAMILY"
The Sanctity Of Marriage
1. Marriage as an institution today is struggling...
a. Many seek to redefine what constitutes a marriage
b. We hear of same-sex marriages, open marriages, polygamy,
c. Others decry marriage altogether, preferring simple cohabitation
d. Many joke about it: "Marriage is a wonderful institution. But
who would want to live in an institution?" - Henry Mencken
2. The family as an institution today is struggling...
a. Husbands and wives often suffer strained relationships
b. Parents and children are frequently at odds with one another
c. Much misery in life is due to dysfunctional family relations
d. Some prefer that government assume the role of raising children
3. I believe much of the problem is due to self-centeredness in our
a. People are told to "look out for #1" in all their relations
(business, family, etc.)
b. Thus many enter marriage and start families with selfish attitudes
c. Yet no relationship can exist peacefully and lovingly with selfish
4. The Bible has much to say about marriage and family...
a. Especially in the teachings of Jesus and His apostles
b. That has helped many to have long-lasting, fulfilling
c. Which can affect both our temporal and eternal happiness
[In this series of lessons, we shall consider what Jesus and His
apostles taught concerning the Christian home and family. I believe a
good place to start is by affirming "The Sanctity Of Marriage"...]
I. THE SANCTITY OF MARRIAGE DEFINED
A. THE MEANING OF SANCTITY...
1. Sanctity is defined as the quality of being holy, sacred
2. Thus it is common to speak of "holy matrimony" (i.e., sacred
B. THE SACREDNESS OF MARRIAGE...
1. Marriage is one of the holiest of relations two people can have
2. Marriage is a bond created by God Himself, thus we must treat
it as sacred
3. Marriage is not something to be entered into lightly
4. "Our nation must defend the sanctity of marriage." - President
George W. Bush
[Is the idea of marriage as a sacred union a Biblical concept? What did
Jesus and His apostles say about it...?]
II. THE SANCTITY OF MARRIAGE DELINEATED
A. MARRIAGE WAS INSTITUTED BY GOD...
1. From the very beginning, following the Creation - Mt 19:3-4;
cf. Gen 2:18-24
2. Designed for those created as male and female - Mt 19:4
3. Whose union becomes "one flesh" (produce offspring) - Mt 19:5
-- Marriage is not a creation of the state, but of God Himself!
B. MARRIAGE IS REGULATED BY JESUS...
1. Jesus has been given all authority, will be our Judge in all
things - Mt 28:18;...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document